Steel frame structures usually refers to a building structure technique with a “skeleton frame” of vertical steel columns and horizontal I-beams, constructed in a rectangular grid to support the floors, roof and walls of a building which are all attached to the frame. The development of this technique made the construction of the skyscraper possible. [Steel Frame]
Building off-site in a controlled environment has many advantages. Modern component construction processes combined with a team of skilled craftsmen allow us to fabricate a stronger and more durable structure. Building materials and finished modules are protected from weather-related damage that can lead to costly rework. In addition, modules are continually inspected throughout the building process to ensure they are built to the appropriate residential or commercial building code and meet our quality standards.
Solving On-site Problems
Modular steel framing provides solutions to many problems encountered on-site. With approximately 80% of the structure completed in the factory, there are fewer delays from inspections and bad weather to hinder your progress on site. Minimizing the possibility of material theft and vandalism.
Benefits to the community and builders
A main aspect of large projects are the side effects it brings to the community, modular steel framing reduce subcontractors on site, reducing stress to the surrounding community. This simple fact can by itself help builders/developers secure a job with comfort.
This means that whether you’re building commercial developments, single- or multi-family homes, subdivisions or urban infill, STEELHOMES™, modular construction can help you do it with reduced risk and a higher return.
Local and Made in the USA.
At STEELHOMES™ thin sheets of galvanized steel can be formed into steel studs for use as a building material for rough-framing in commercial or residential construction (SEE Images below), and many other STEELHOMES™ applications. The dimension of the room is established with horizontal track that is anchored to the floor and ceiling to outline each room. The vertical studs are arranged in the tracks, usually spaced 16″ apart, and fastened at the top and bottom.
Steel mills produce galvanized sheet steel, the base material for light-gauge steel. STEELHOMES™ takes the sheets of steel into the final profiles used for framing. The sheets are zinc coated (galvanized) to prevent oxidation and corrosion. Steel framing provides excellent design flexibility due to the inherent strength of steel, which allows it to span over a longer distance than wood, and also resist wind and earthquake loads.
Steel framing is inherently less energy efficient than wood as it is a conductor. Construction with steel framing contributes to thermal bridges between the outside environment and interior conditioned space.
Today there is a wide use of light gauge steel in residential and commercial buildings, which is replacing the wooden studs used in framing. Additionally, if we look at wood and steel from costs perspective then they both cost more or less the same. Not using wood as a building material helps in conserving forest resources this makes using steel a Green Building Solution. Further, when a steel building is taken down then the steel used in the building can be reused where as if a wooden building is taken down then the used wood almost always goes to trash. When compared to wood, steel is a stronger and lighter building material which is also termite and fire proof. Additionally, steel has greater resistance against extreme weather conditions like hurricane, tornado and earthquake.
STEELHOMES™ can design any one of our modular commercial buildings to include local architectural details.
At STEELHOMES™ we have state-of-the-art design, engineering and fabricating techniques which will ensure that your project is secure and efficient.
Our Team of experts at STEELHOMES™ includes structural engineers, designers, and quality technicians. We supervise all the fabrication work and assemble all the structures and make sure that the whole process is well integrated. Finally, we take utmost care that steel structures and frames reaches the desired destination in timely manner.
- Safety: The number one criteria of a STEELHOMES™ Frame is greater protection to your entire family during Tornados, Hurricanes and Thunderstorms. Our steel frame homes are stronger than wood structures. Our Metal Home Design flexibility, using steel members withstands Hurricanes, Tornados, Earthquakes & Heavy snow.
- Termite Resistance: Steel is impervious material which termites & wood boring insets cannot eat or chew. Structural damages can be avoided by using Steel members.
- Fire Resistance: Steel Framed Residential Homes will not burn with regular fire & it will not allow spreading fire. Family & loved ones considerably get enough time to escape & get time to arrange Fire Extinguishers & save remaining structure.
- Flexible: Steel Frame House can be designed with clear span to get “Open Floor Custom Floor Plan” feelings.
- Non Combustible: As steel members will not burn & support combustion, you may save more money for “Home Insurance”.
- Energy Efficient factor: Our “Red Iron Steel Homes” with 8″ Ext. walls, you can use R-30. This will save your money in a longer run & you will get higher comfort level inside the house.
- Quality: It is hard to get straight wood components in the market. Our Steel components will not wrap, crack, rot, shrink or twist which will allow you to construct straight walls, perfect ceilings & square corners for the floors. Our connection bolts will not come apart with the edge. These steel components have consistent quality for a safer structure.
- Mold development: Steel components do not support the growth of Mold.
- Much of the steel used to make light Steel Green Homes (Link to Steel Green Homes under OUR Technology) framing is recycled.
- When a steel frame building is demolished, the steel can be recycled.
- It takes approximately one-quarter of an acre of mature trees to produce the wood framing for a typical house. The same house can be steel framed from three or four old cars.
- Steel can be recycled indefinitely without losing any of its qualities.
- When steel buildings are no longer required in their current location, they can be dismantled and re-erected elsewhere.
- Prefab Steel Green Homes framed buildings can be very energy-efficient. The strength of steel requires fewer wall studs, so there are fewer thermal bridges (un-insulated areas) to transmit heat.
- Prefab Steel Green Homes frame buildings do not settle or warp, so they remain more airtight.
- The depth of the steel beams provides a wider space for insulation.
- The design flexibility of steel frame buildings enables architects to focus on energy-efficient housing features.
High performance materials provide superior thermal insulation, so buildings are more comfortable and require less electricity for heating and cooling. The result is reduced running costs and less capital investment in power generation.
- Almost half the world’s steel production now takes place in electric plants that operate exclusively with recycled scrap and generate no CO2 emissions.
- The by-products arising from steel production are all re-used. For example, slag is employed as a high-value mineral material for highway construction, as ballast, and for the manufacture of cement.
- Steel construction entails the assembly of semi-finished products in a factory, limiting the noise and disruption of open-air operations.
- Steel’s light weight allows smaller foundations and less excavation. In some cases, a few piles are sufficient to raise the building completely from the ground.
Durable and safe
- Steel will not rot and is immune to termites and other insects.
- Steel frames stay straight, unlike timber which can move and warp, twist and shrink during and after construction. This significantly reduces ongoing maintenance, as there are fewer call backs for things like plasterboard cracking or framing popping.
- Steel is non-combustible and won’t contribute to the spread of a fire.
- A STEELHOMES™ frame building is more resistant to the effects of severe hurricanes and tornadoes. Also, there is less likelihood of damage from lightning strikes due to superior earthling characteristics of steel.
- Steel doesn’t have to be treated with pesticides, preservatives or glues, so steel frame houses offer indoor air quality benefits.
- Because of steel’s inert character and the manner in which steel framed buildings are insulated, floors and walls are not susceptible to moisture build-up, which contributes to the formation of mold.
Design and Flexibility
- Compared to timber framing, STEELHOMES™ framing can span greater distances, allowing greater design flexibility. Interior walls can be placed without load-bearing considerations.
- Any timber frame plan can be easily converted to a steel frame plan, using 3D modeling software.
- Once completed, steel frame homes can look just like traditionally built homes.
- Modifying an existing steel frame building is relatively simply. Interior walls can be moved without a concern for structural support.
- The construction technology imposes no limitations on what can be achieved at a remote site. STEELHOMES™ frame buildings can be designed in virtually any style and for any application — from a guard-house or a small accommodation unit to a large family home or a multi-storey commercial building. STEELHOMES™ frame panels can also be used with hot-rolled steel sections.